The Commonwealth Short Story Prize is an annual award for unpublished short fiction administered and funded by the Commonwealth Foundation.
The prize covers the Commonwealth regions of Africa, Asia, Canada and Europe, Caribbean and Pacific. (See Section 5 for countries in each region).
The international judging panel comprises one judge from each of the five regions.
Please note that while the entries will be judged regionally, all judges will read and deliberate on entries from all regions. There will be five winners, one from each region. One regional winner will be selected as the overall winner.
The overall winner of the Commonwealth Short Story Prize will receive £5,000 and the remaining four regional winners £2,500. If the winning short story is a translation into English, the translator will receive additional prize money.
Benefits of Commonwealth Short Story Prize 2023
Requirements for Commonwealth Short Story Prize 2023
- Entrants must be citizens of a Commonwealth country – please see Section 5 for the list of Commonwealth countries – or stateless persons currently residing in a Commonwealth country. The Commonwealth Foundation will request verification of citizenship status before winners are selected. Entries from citizens of Non-Commonwealth countries are not eligible.
- For regional purposes, entries will be judged by country of citizenship. Where the writer has dual citizenship (of two Commonwealth countries), the entry will be judged in the region where the writer is permanently resident.
- There is no requirement for the writer to have current residence in a Commonwealth country, providing that they are a citizen of a Commonwealth country.
- Entrants must be aged 18 years or over on 1 November 2023.
- All entries will be accepted at the discretion of the Commonwealth Foundation which will exercise its judgement, in consultation with the prize chair, in ruling on questions of eligibility. The ruling of the chair on questions of eligibility is final, and no further correspondence will be entered into.
- Entries from previous overall winners of the Commonwealth Short Story Prize are not eligible. Entrants who have won the regional prize three times are also not eligible to submit to the prize.
- Entries from current members of staff at the Commonwealth Foundation are not eligible.
- Entries must be unpublished and remain unpublished in any language until 1 May 2024. i. If your entry has been shortlisted or won a prize in other competitions, provided it has not been published, it is eligible.
How to Apply
Click Here to apply!
Application Deadline for Commonwealth Short Story Prize 2023
November 2, 2023.