Over 3,700 qualified students denied admission to Accra College of Education (ACCE) in the Greater Accra Region for the current 2020-2021 academic year.
This was due to the unavailability of infrastructure to accommodate them according to Dr Samuel Awinkene Antonio, the Principal of the College.
This was disclosed at the third matriculation ceremony of the College in Accra.
Admission to Accra College of Education and Applicants
The college received applications from 5,098 students out of which 4,137 were qualified for admission. Shockingly just 420 students were admitted to study various 4-year degree programs. The number admitted is just 10% of qualified applicants and a 20% increase in the previous year’s admission.
Thus a total of 3,717 lost the chance to start their tertiary education to become teachers.
“There were indeed many eligible candidates that we could not offer admission for many reasons. When students have excellent grades but cannot gain admission into College, it should be a matter of concern to us,” he lamented.
“This is our modest contribution to accommodate the first batch of the Free Senior High School (FSHS) graduates,” Dr. Atintono added.
As a country that lacks proactive planning in many instances, we are beginning to feel the impact of Free SHS without plans to create more space for admission into tertiary institutions.
The females admitted represent to Accra College of Education represent 54% of total matriculants, while the remaining 46% are males. Out of the number admitted, 40 students are pursuing Early Grade Education, 115 for Primary Education, whiles Junior High School Education has 265 were admitted for study.
Accra College of Education and IT project
The Principal said despite the challenges of the College; the institution remains committed to providing quality training to teachers to become professionally competent.
To integrate and introduce IT education and e-learning, the school has begun to engage with private investors to help realize the dream.
At the Matriculation, Dr Attitono disclosed that the Information Communication and Technology (ICT) centre will be a partnership between government and private investors. The college is also considering establishing a College sickbay and the rehabilitation of the College buildings.
Post Publications || Join us on Whatsapp || Post Disclaimer
SEND A STORY: Do you have a story for us or need a promotion/advertisement? Submit them via our email [email protected]
JOIN OUR EDUCATION NEW GROUPS (WHATSAPP)
Join one of our Whatsapp/Telegram Groups for current Ghana Education Service News Updates:
JOIN ONLY ONE... THANKS
Group 7 >>New Group> [JOIN]
Group 6 >>New Group> [JOIN]
Group 1 >>New Group> [JOIN]
Group 2 >>> [JOIN]
TELEGRAM PAGE >>> [JOIN]
Only websites that give us a URL backlink can repost our content on their sites.
The information contained in this post is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by GhanaEducation.Org and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the post for any purpose.