WAEC Sample BECE 2021 English Language Questions for the objective test. These samples serve as guidelines for students and teachers.
WAEC Sample BECE 2021 English Language Questions
PAPER 1: PART A: LEXIS AND STRUCTURE
From the alternatives lettered A to D, choose the one which most suitably completes each sentence.
1. Mary is a …………… girl.
A. beautiful young Nigerian
B. young beautiful Nigerian
C. young Nigerian beautiful
D. Nigerian young beautiful
2. Kojo plays the violin very well, ……………….?
A. couldn’t he
B. don’t he
C. doesn’t he
D. can’t he
Choose from the alternatives lettered A to D the one which is nearest in meaning to the underlined word in each sentence.
1. My celibate friend is happy.
2. You look very shagged.
In each of the following sentences a word or group of words has been underlined. Choose from the alternatives lettered A to D the one that best explains the underlined word or group of
1. The students were told to give a good account of themselves. This means the students were told to
A. behave well.
B. do well.
C. work hard.
D. learn hard.
2. Her room is in apple-pie order.
This means her room is
From the list of words lettered A to D, choose the one which is most nearly opposite in meaning to the underlined word in each sentence.
1. My grandmother is a weak centenarian.
2. When asked about the breakage, Kofi said he was innocent.
WAEC Sample BECE 2021 English Language Questions – PART B LITERATURE
Read the excerpts below and choose the correct answer from the alternatives
lettered A to D.
‘Ama was a lioness in the fight’.
1. The literary device used in the above is
‘We are three men
With a plea
To be set free now
To move with glee’
2. The rhyme scheme in the verse above is
WAEC Sample BECE 2021 English Language Questions – PAPER TWO
Answer one question only from this section.
- Write an article for publication in a national newspaper on the topic: Why bushfires must be avoided.
- Your uncle wants to visit you in your school. Give him the directions. 3. Describe to your friends the most interesting function you have attended
Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions which follow:
- One day a poor fisherman went fishing and caught nothing. He was just about to go home when he felt the net suddenly grow heavy. He thought he had caught a large fish. But when he dragged it ashore, he found only a heavy copper pot sealed with lead. He shook it and feeling sure it contained something valuable, he took his knife, cut the top of the lead and turned it upside down. For a moment nothing came out; and then it started to smoke, and this smoke slowly rose right up to the sky like a thick fog. It suddenly turned into a huge genie.
“Bow down”, said the genie, “and let me kill you.”
“Why?” asked the fisherman, “Have you forgotten that I set you free?”
“Yes, but I have sworn to kill you”, said the genie.
“I’m a spirit that rebelled against the Creator and to punish me he shut me up in this copper pot. During the first century of my captivity, I swore to make anyone who freed me rich. During the second century, I swore I would grant him any three things. But after these centuries, in anger, I swore to kill my liberator without mercy.”
“Well, die I must,” said the fisherman, “but swear that you really were in that pot. It is too small to hold even your little finger. Unless I see it, I shall not believe it.”
“See then and believe,” said the genie.
He slowly changed back into smoke and entered the pot. The fisherman immediately put back the lead cover and threw it into the sea.
- What did the fisherman catch?
- Why did the fisherman open the lead pot?
- State two things the genie swore to do.
- Explain the following expression in your own words: ‘Well, die I must’.
- For each of the following words, give another word or phrase that means the same and can fit into the passage:
- BECE 2021 Examination rules for candidates and schools
- BECE 2021 cut-off point, not Aggregate 25 but these three things can shatter your dreams
- Free SHS policy is a Game-Changer – Education Ministry
We hope these WAEC Sample BECE 2021 English Language Questions were useful.