The United Nations WFP IGNITE Innovation Hub, Circle Innovation, and DTU Skylab Foodlab, with the support of Care Denmark and the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, have launched the highly anticipated second edition of the IGNITE SEED Innovation programme in East Africa to support entrepreneurial teams with research-backed ideas focused on innovating food systems with market validation and training support to launch these ideas in the market.
About World Food Programme (WFP)
Benefits of WFP IGNITE SEED Innovation program 2023
- Innovation Program: Selected teams will participate in the IGNITE SEED Innovation programme for ten months and get access to our unique Human Centered Design (HCD) Lab.
- Innovation Lab: At the end of the HCD Lab, you will pitch your validated prototype to a panel of experts and get the opportunity to be selected for our intensive business training.
- Business training: Qualifying teams will go through an intensive 4 months entrepreneurship and business training.
- Networking: Qualifying teams will get exposure to the rich WFP and implementing partner networks that can help their ideas to the next level.
Requirements for WFP IGNITE SEED Innovation program 2023
- Research-backed idea or invention in the food systems sector.
- At least two team members based in Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Ethiopia, or Somalia working on the idea.
- Interest in transforming the idea into a venture.
- Passion about disrupting food systems to achieve zero hunger.
- Be available for programme activities for the duration of the innovation programme, including in-person and online sessions.
- Female entrepreneurs and non-academic innovators are specifically encouraged to apply
- Target countries: Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Ethiopia and Somalia.
What We Are Looking For
We invite applications from innovators and researchers who have research-backed innovations addressing food systems in East Africa.
The call for applications is open for teams with food system ideas grounded in research, whether from academia or practical experience, even if they haven’t formally registered their businesses yet.
The IGNITE SEED Innovation program is looking for High-potential, research-backed ideas or interventions with a focus on disrupting the following areas in the food system.
- Improve local food production, quality, or nutrition.
- Reduce or eliminate post-harvest loss or food waste.
- Increase access to water for productive use or contribute to water saving
- Founded in academic, industry-led or experimental research
- Impact on strengthening regional food systems
- Potential to achieve initial traction within the innovation programme
- Clarity of vision and the idea
- Team strength, experience, and commitment
- Feasibility and viability of implementing the idea
How to Apply
Application Deadline for WFP IGNITE SEED Innovation program 2023
We wish you the best in your application.
ALSO READ: Bank Of America Winter Internship 2024