Ghanaians received the news of the release of the 2020 School Placement with excitement. But a few days on, there seem to be problems and challenges that need attention.
Your first point of call, when faced with any challenge, is to call any of the CSSPS related numbers below until you get help. Complaining on the GES Facebook back will not provide the solution.
The 2020 School Placement problems facing parents and BECE graduates vary
There are many who were automatically placed who are not excited about the schools they have been placed in. Those with the option of self placement are also finding it difficult to get a school because most of the schools are either far from their residence or do not have the programme they intend to study.
Below are sampled views from the GES Facebook page.
Some 2020 School Placement Problems Facing Stakeholders
- Both parents and students do not know where to seek help. The GES has made available call centre numbers to help resolve placement issues.
- Sometimes, calls made do not go through. Our advice to those facing this experience is to keep calling the numbers. The Ghana Education Service has done well so far with the novel systems put in place however, if the calls can go through and the caller is held on for a while, it will help ease the pressure on parents.
- Some students have been placed in day schools far from their residence. Although such students want to be day students, the distance makes it impossible.
- Again, the self placement module is programmed to make available programmes and schools that match the candidate’s grades. This means they limit the choices available to the candidate.
- Parents, schools and students during the school selection process failed to do diligent work in choosing schools. Many candidates chose competitive schools and programmes that their academic performance does not merit. This accounted for the over 150,000 candidates who were to do the self placement. This should be a lesson to parents whose wards are in JHS 3 preparing for the 2021 BECE.
- Some parents have visited schools into which they have been placed through the self placement yet, their data is yet to be made available to the school for the enrollment of such students. We suggest that such parents call the GES call centre numbers for assistance and direction.
- People are using the backdoor to secure and sell placements into schools in category A, B, C etc at a fee. This defeats the equity and placement by merit parents and students were promised.