One of the questions parents have been asking since they checked the placement of the 2023 BECE candidates is “How to change a school you did not choose but have been placed in’?
The possibility of changing the school of your ward who has been automatically placed is possible.
The first issue is whether you opted for the cluster option while selecting a school. The cluster option, when used, permits the Ghana Education Service to consider your ward and place him or her in one of the schools in the category from which the schools were selected if the candidate is placed in any of the schools selected but qualified for placement.
For instance, if John selected Achimota Schoolobted for the cluster option General Science and Boarding and had a raw score of 395, he is likely to be placed in, say, PRESRC Legon if there is an available slot in PRESEC that matches the option chosen (General Science and Boarding). This applies to all schools chosen if the cluster option is also thicked. It is the best way to choose schools.
However, it is clear that parents may not like the school a candidate is placed at.
FAQ: How to change a school you did not choose but have been placed in
- Check if you opted for the CLUSTER option for the schools you chose.
- If you do not have a cluster option chosen, look for the school selection form you submitted to your ward’s school.
- Check the school form submitted to see if you made a cluster option choice.
- If not, such a choice was made for the category in which your ward was placed.
- Call the school placement officers and lodge a complaint.
- Even if you made the cluster option choice but have numerous reasons for the need to change schools, contact the GES through their school placement hotlines to get help.
We hope this explanation has provided you with the answers you are looking for. Remember, however, that the seriousness of candidates in terms of academics and their discipline are key factors that determine their academic progress and performance in school, not the past glories of the school.
FAQ: My daughter didn’t choose a school, but she has been placed there. Is there a way it can be rectified?
Yes, this can be rectified; however, contact the SHS Placement hotline for their support and provide valid reasons for the request. The numbers are likely to be busy but keep trying.
FAQ: Please, my name is Osae Eric, and I am having a problem with my school placement. I was given a school that was not on the list of school choices. Also, the school is far away from my location, and it does not have a boarding facility. Please help me out.
You also have a good question and a valid reason. Contact the GES/MoE using the SHS placement hotline.