Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) is an examination conducted for final year JHS students. The examination is both for certification and selection into Senior High Schools and Technical Institutes in Ghana. We will be looking at the grading system for the 2023 BECE results.
2023 BECE Grading System
Let’s take a look at the grading system of the 2023 BECE.
The BECE Grading system has been designed in a way that there is nothing like ‘Fail’ on the result slip of candidates. Unlike the WASSCE which shows ‘FAIL’ for marks less than 35, BECE shows LOWEST grade. This clearly means that there is nothing like fail in BECE.
However, this doesn’t mean that candidates should not learn. Any candidates who fail to get the best grades will not get admission into any senior high school in Ghana. The best option for these candidates is to write the BECE(Private Candidate), also known as BECE NOVDEC.
Know The 2023 BECE Grading System
Below is the grading system for the 2033 BECE.
- 90-100 is graded as 1. It is the HIGHEST grade in the grading system.
- 80-89, the second category in this classification is graded as 2, GRADE A. it is denoted as HIGHER.
- 70-79, is grade 3, a B+ and is described as HIGH.
- 60 -69 is grade 4, GRADE B, described as HIGH AVERAGE.
- 55 – 60 is GRADE C+, classified as 5 and described as AVERAGE.
- LOW AVERAGE is a description of marks falling between 50-54 and GRADE C; number 6 in the grading system.
- Any mark ranging between 40-49 is considered as GRADE D+ and number 7; described as LOW
- 35-39 is GRADE E which is number 8, described as LOWER in the Stanine grading system.
- GRADE F, 9 characterized by 9 is the LOWEST grade, which falls between 0-34
2023 BECE GRADING SYSTEM(SUMMARY)
90-100 : Grade A which is 1 and interprets as Highest
80-89 : Grade B+ which is 2 and interprets as Higher
70-79: Grade B which is 3 and interprets as High
60-69: Grade C+ which is 4 and interprets as High average
55-59: Grade C which is 5 and interprets as Average
50-54: Grade D+ which is 6 and interprets as Low average
40-49: Grade D which is 7 and interprets as Low
35-39: Grade E which is 8 and interprets as Lower
0-34: Grade F which is 9 and interprets as Lowest
NB: WAEC sometimes uses the Stanine grading system for BECE. It is norm-referenced, meaning, the result’s architecture is pre-determined. Under Stanine, the % of candidates who will obtain Grade 1-9 is virtually fixed, so you must justify your inclusion into that percentage. For example