You will surely get an ‘A’ in Elective Mathematics in the 2023 WASSCE if you try your hands on the following questions. These questions were derived from several WAEC past questions. It was also set based on how WAEC set its Elective Mathematics Questions.
1. A point P divides the straight line joining X(1, -2) and Y(5, 3) internally in a ratio 2:3. Find the
(a) coordinates of P.
(b) equation of the straight line that passes through N(3, -5) and P.
2. (a) Find the sum of the series 32 + 8 + 2 + …,
3. Without using mathematical tables or calculator, find, in surd form (radicals), the value of .
3. The ages, (in years), of a group of 18 adults have the following statistics, and .
(a) Calculate the:
(i) mean age,
(ii) standard deviation of the ages of the adults, correct to two decimal places.
(b) One person leaves teh group and the mean age of the remaining 17 is 41 years.
(i) age of the person who left;
(ii) standard deviation of the remaining 17 adults, correct to two decimal places
4. a. Solve 3sin^2teetha + 2costeetha = 2.
b. Show that 3sinx +sin2x/ 1+3cosx + cos2x = tanx
5. a. Find from the first principle, the derivative of f(x)= (x+3)^2
b. Given that x^3 y – 4x +3y = 12. find dy/dx at (-3,0)
c. If 1/2(x^2+ y^2) = bxy. find where b is a constant, find dy/dx
6. a. Find the equation of the tangent of the curve y=4x(x^2 – 12) at its maximum point.
b. The radius of a circle is 12cm. Find, leaving to the answer in terms of (pi), the rate at which the area is increasing when the radius is increasing at the rate of 0.2cms^-1.
7. a. The position vectors of A and B are a=3i-j and b=2i+3j respectively. Find, correct to 2 significant figures, |4a-2b|
b. Given that m=3i+5j, n=2i-j and r=5i+17j, find |4m-3n-r|.