An official sod cutting has been held to commence the construction of the first 18 schools to replace schools under tress.
The Northern Regional Minister, Hon. Alhaji Saani Alhassan Shaibu cut the sod for the construction of 18 KG schools. These when completed will replace existing school under trees across the 16 regions of Ghana.
Over 5000 schools have been identified to be operating outside standard classrooms (Schools Under Tress).
The project to give learners in such schools befitting learning environments is under the auspices of VALCO Trust Fund in collaboration with the Ministries of Energy and Education and the Ghana Education Service.
The ceremonial sod cut to represent the 18 constructions was held at Kambonsiya Community within the Karaga District in the Northern Region.
Other high profile personalities present at the event were;
1. Hon Adam Mohammed Amin, MP, Karaga Constituency and a deputy Minister of Energy designate
2. Chief Director, Ministry of Energy, Mr. Lawrence Apaalse
3. Acting Board Chairman, VALCO Trust Fund, Mr Kwasi Osei Agyapong
4. Executive Director, VALCO Trust Fund, Mr. Kelvin Kwaku Yeboah
5. Representative of the Education Minister and the Director-General of Ghana Education Service, he is the Northern Regional Director of Education and the Acting Education Director for North East Region, Dr. Peter Attafuah
6. The Acting District Chief Executive for Karaga, Hon Yabdow Alhasan, and the Chief of Kambonsiya, Lana Mahamadu Gundaanaa who spoke through a Community Sub Chief Jankpehi Lana Abukari Dokurugu.
The project is scheduled for completion within three months.