The African Institute of Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) Rwanda has opened a Junior Research Chair position in Data Science at Quantum Leap Africa (QLA). The position will be research-oriented without any teaching responsibilities; giving seminars is expected, and giving a short course is encouraged. Other teaching opportunities can be arranged depending on preference and demand. The position comes with a competitive salary and administrative support, as well as financial support to attend and organize scientific events, to hire students, and to cover expenses related to leading a research group at AIMS. The new Junior Research Chair will work jointly with the AIMS-Carnegie Research Chair in Data Science, Prof. Franca Hoffmann. The appointment will be for a period of 3 years with a possibility of extension.
Junior Research Chair position in Data Science at Quantum Leap Africa Research Direction
Possible research directions in the area of data science include, but are not limited, to:
- Mathematical theory for machine learning approaches
- Analysis and development of algorithms
- Optimization and sampling
- Discrete-to-continuum analysis (e.g. in the large data setting)
- Application and adaptation of methods from PDE theory, probability theory, mathematical physics and other research areas to data science.
QLA welcomes applications from motivated and talented African researchers and researchers of
African descent; candidates with the following background will be given priority;
- PhD degree in mathematics, statistics, computer science, physics, or related field
- Research potential, track record and academic achievements
- Evidence of academic maturity and independence in planning research activities
- Vision for a promising research agenda
- Capacity to lead a group and act as a mentor to students
- International experience
- Ability to bridge theory and applications
- Interest in interdisciplinary collaborations
Applicants must use the online application portal to apply. The following documents must also be submitted through the online portal.
- A completed personal details form
- Research statement (3-7 pages including references)
- CV including a publications list
Recommendation letters: Applicants should arrange for at least two letters from senior researchers to be sent directly to the QLA Program Coordinator Ms Molly Mutesi at firstname.lastname@example.org as part of their application package. Referee details can be entered in the application form. Letters have to be received by the application deadline.
Research Statement: The research statement should include an overview of past and current research, as well as a detailed description of planned future research directions.
Shortlisted candidates by the African Institute of Mathematical Sciences will be invited for a virtual interview.
Information about the African Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Quantum Leap Africa and about Prof. Hoffmann’s research may be found at https://nexteinstein.org/ , https://quantumleapafrica.org/ and https://francahoffmann.wordpress.com/ respectively.
additional information, on the position, the research environment at AIMS, or on opportunities for international collaboration, candidates may contact the AIMS-Carnegie Research Chair, Prof. Hoffmann ( email@example.com ), or AIMS’ Research and Scientific Development Manager, Dr. Isambi Sailon Mbalawata ( firstname.lastname@example.org ).
APPLY >>> GO HERE